History of the "Ferienhof am See"
In 1932, the Schönbächler-Steinauer family moved from their farm, “Lachern”, in the village of Gross to the nearby Willerzell. Here they took over the newly built farm, “Mösli”, that had been offered to them in compensation.
In 1937, work began on damming up the Sihlsee. Many farming families were forced to leave their farms. Further information (in German) about the building of the dam and its consequences can be found here.
Between 1953 and 1994, the farm was run by August and Ida Schönbächler–Zurfluh.
In 1995, their son, August – representing the third generation of the Schönbächler family – and his wife Cornelia took over the farm. In the meantime, the fourth generation is already lending a helping hand.
In 2009, an annex was built, accommodating a holiday apartment and a B& B double room. Since then, over 2,700 guests have spent the night, a long weekend or their holiday at the Ferienhof am See.